The Prophet(先知)
Kahlil Gibran(哈利勒‧紀伯倫)
22)On Good and Evil善與惡
And one of the elders of the city said, "Speak to us of Good and Evil"
接著城裡有位長輩說,請與我們談一談善與惡。
And he answered:
他回答說︰
Of the good in you I can speak, but not of the evil.
我可以談你們內在的善,卻非你們心中的惡。
For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst?
因為”惡”只是”善”被它本身的飢渴所扭曲。
Verily when good is hungry it seeks food even in dark caves,
確實,當善飢餓時,即使在黑暗的洞穴,它也會去找尋食物,
and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters.
當口渴時, 即使是死水,它也會去飲用。
You are good when you are one with yourself.
當你與自己合為一體時,你就是善。
Yet when you are not one with yourself you are not evil.
而當你與自己不能合為一體時,你也不是惡。
For a divided house is not a den of thieves; it is only a divided house.
因為一個被分割的家,並不是一個賊窩,它只是一個被分割的家。
And a ship without rudder may wander aimlessly among perilous isles
沒有舵的船可能會漫無目標的漂流在島嶼間,
yet sink not to the bottom.
卻不致於沈入海底。
You are good when you strive to give of yourself.
你全心的奉獻自己時,那你就是善。
Yet you are not evil when you seek gain for yourself.
然而當你致力於為自己牟利時,你也不是罪惡的。
For when you strive for gain
因為當你努力追求什麼時,
you are but a root that clings to the earth and sucks at her breast.
你只不過是一條抓緊大地而吸取其乳汁的樹根。
Surely the fruit cannot say to the root,
果實當然不能對樹根說︰
"Be like me, ripe and full and ever giving of your abundace."
「要像我一樣,成熟、飽滿,永遠地付出你自己。」
For to the fruit giving is a need,
因為對於果實而言,付出是必要的,
as receiving is a need to the root.
正如對樹根而言接受是必要的一樣。
You are good when you are fully awake in your speech,
當你在完全清醒時說話, 你是善的,
Yet you are not evil when you sleep while your tongue staggers without purpose.
而當你睡眠時而語焉不詳時,你也並不惡。
And even stumbling speech may strengthen a weak tongue.
即使結結巴巴地說話,也可鍛鍊柔弱的舌頭。
You are good when you walk to your goal firmly and with bold steps.
當你堅毅而大踏步地向你的目標前進時, 你是善的.
Yet you are not evil when you go thither limping.
然而當你跛足而行,也不是惡。
Even those who limp go not backward.
因為那跛足而行的人也不會倒退而走。
But you who are strong and swift,
但強壯健步而行的你,
see that you do not limp before the lame, deeming it kindness.
別以為在跛子面前瘸行,而自認是一種仁慈的表現。
You are good in countless ways, and you are not evil when you are not good.
你有無數的善,然而當你不善時,你也未必是惡。
You are only loitering and sluggard.
只不過是閒散與怠惰罷了。
Pity that the stags cannot teach swiftness to the turtles.
可惜,雄鹿不能教烏龜疾速而行。
In your longing for your giant self lies your goodness,
在你們對大我的渴慕之中就包含了善,
and that longing is in all of you.
而那渴慕是你們所有人都具備的。
But in some of you that longing is a torrent rushing with might to the sea,
只是,有些人的渴慕是一股帶著力量直奔向大海的激流,
carrying the secrets of the hillsides and the songs of the forest.
挾帶著著山間的奧祕和森林的歌唱.
And in others it is a flat stream
又有些人的渴慕只是平緩的溪流,
that loses itself in angles and bends and lingers before it reaches the shore.
在蜿曲之間迷失了自己,而閒蕩地到達海邊。
But let not him who longs much say to him who longs little,
但別讓胸懷大志的人對志向小的人說︰
"Wherefore are you slow and halting?"
「你為什麼緩慢和躊躇不前呢?」
For the truly good ask not the naked, "Where is your garment?"
因為真正善良的人不會問打赤膊的人說︰「你的衣服在那裡?」
nor the houseless, "What has befallen your house?"
也不會問無家可歸的人說︰「你的房子在那裡?」
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment