網頁

Sunday, April 11, 2010

26)On Religion(宗教)

The Prophet(先知)
Kahlil Gibran(哈利勒‧紀伯倫)

26)On Religion(宗教)

And an old priest said, "Speak to us of Religion."
接著一位老祭司說,請談一談宗教吧。
And he said:
他回答說︰
Have I spoken this day of aught else?
在這一天我一直在講的,還有別的嗎?
Is not religion all deeds and all reflection,
宗教不就是所有的行為和所有的思考。
And that which is neither deed nor reflection,
以及那些既不是行為,也並非是思考,
but a wonder and a surprise ever springing in the soul, even while the hands hew the stone or tend the loom?
而是那些即使用雙手在鑿岩石或織布時,一剎那間靈魂中跳脫出的驚奇和大感意外?
Who can separate his faith from his actions,
誰能將他的信仰和行為分開,
or his belief from his occupations?
或把信仰和工作分開?
Who can spread his hours before him, saying,
誰能將時間攤開在面前說︰
"This for God and this for myself;
「這是給神的,那是給我自己的;
This for my soul, and this other for my body?"
這是給我靈魂的,那是給我的肉體的?」
All your hours are wings that beat through space from self to self.
你們所有的時日是在自己與自我之間拍動的羽翼。
He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked.
把道德當成他最好衣裳而披戴著的人,不如赤裸吧。
The wind and the sun will tear no holes in his skin.
風和陽光不會把他的皮膚撕裂。
And he who defines his conduct by ethics imprisons his song-bird in a cage.
那些以倫理去規範其行為的人,是把他歌唱的鳥囚於籠中。
The freest song comes not through bars and wires.
最自由的歌,不是從欄杆和鐵絲之後唱出來的。
And he to whom worshipping is a window, to open but also to shut,
對於把禮拜當成窗子一般開關自如的人,
has not yet visited the house of his soul whose windows are from dawn to dawn.
還不曾探訪他那靈魂之宮殿;在那裡的窗,日日夜夜一直開著。
Your daily life is your temple and your religion.
你每日的作息便是你們的廟宇和你們的宗教。
Whenever you enter into it take with you your all.
不論何時你進入,把你們的一切也帶著吧。
Take the plough and the forge and the mallet and the lute,
帶著你們的犁、熔爐、木棒和琵琶。
The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight.
那些你為了應付需要或歡喜所製作的東西。
For in reverie you cannot rise above your achievements
因為,在空想之中,你們無法提升到超越你的成就,
nor fall lower than your failures.
也不會沈淪得低於你的失敗。
And take with you all men:
帶著所有人同去︰
For in adoration you cannot fly higher than their hopes
因為,在崇拜之中,你們無法飛得高於他們希望,
nor humble yourself lower than their despair.
也不會低聲下氣到低於他們的絕望。
And if you would know God be not therefore a solver of riddles.
如果你想了解神,就別做個解謎者。
Rather look about you and you shall see Him playing with your children.
不如向你四周看看,你會看到衪正和你的孩子一起遊戲。
And look into space; you shall see Him walking in the cloud,
望向天際,你會見到他在雲中行走,
outstretching His arms in the lightning and descending in rain.
在閃電中伸出雙臂,在雨中緩緩降下。
You shall see Him smiling in flowers,
你會在花間看見他微笑,
then rising and waving His hands in trees.
隨後又在樹林搖曳中升起並揮手。

No comments:

Post a Comment