The Prophet(先知)
Kahlil Gibran(哈利勒‧紀伯倫)
2)On Love (愛)
Then said Almitra, Speak to us of Love.
於是,艾蜜特卡說,跟我們談一談愛吧。
And he raised his head and looked upon the people,
他抬起頭看看大家,
and there fell a stillness upon them.
他們便都安靜下來了,
And with a great voice he said:
他以洪亮的聲音說︰
When love beckons to you, follow him,
當愛向你召喚時,追隨它,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
雖然它的道路艱難又崎嶇。
And when his wings enfold you, yield to him,
當它展開雙翼擁向你時,投向它,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
雖然隱藏在它雙翼下的利劍也許會刺傷你。
And when he speaks to you, believe in him.
當它和你談話時,信任它,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
雖然它的聲音或許會粉碎你的夢,
as the north wind lays waste the garden.
如同北風摧殘花園一般。
For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you.
因為愛就好像會幫你加冕,它也會將你釘在十字架上。
Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
即使它會助你成長,也會像修剪花木一般對你。
Even as he ascends to your height
甚至,它會登上你的高度,
and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
愛撫你在陽光中顫動著的嫩枝。
So shall he descend to your roots
相同的它也將降到你的根部,
and shake them in their clinging to the earth.
動搖你緊抓著泥土的根。
Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
愛採集你,有如成捆的麥穀。
He threshes you to make you naked.
它剝脫你,使你裸露。
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
它脫去你的外殼,
He grinds you to whiteness.
它研磨你,使你白淨,
He kneads you until you are pliant;
它搓揉你直到柔軟;
And then he assigns you to his sacred fire,
然後再將你放在聖火中烘烤,
that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast.
使你變成上帝聖餐中的聖餅。
All these things shall love do unto you
所有這些事,愛都將施加於你,
that you may know the secrets of your heart,
使你能了解你心中的祕密,
and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.
因而變成「生命」之心的一個碎片。
But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure.
但如果你在畏懼之中,只想尋求愛的安寧與愉悅,
Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness
你還不如遮掩著你的裸體,
and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
避開愛的打穀場,
Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh,
走入沒有季節變化的世界,在那裡你會歡笑,
but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.
但卻不是盡情的笑,你會哭泣,卻不會嚎啕大哭。
Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
愛所奉獻的只是自己,所取得的也是來自自己。
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
愛不佔有,也不被佔有;
For love is sufficient unto love.
因為愛是自給自足的。
When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart,"
當你愛時不要說︰「上帝在我心中。」
but rather, " I am in the heart of God."
而是要說︰「我在上帝的心中。」
And think not you can direct the course of love,
不要以為你能引導愛的路徑,
for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.
因為愛如果發現你值得,它就會來指引你的路。
Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
除了成全自己,愛沒有別的企求。
But if you love and must needs have desires,
可是,如果你愛,就必須有所求,
let these be your desires:
讓你所願如斯吧﹗
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
讓自己融化,像一條奔流的小溪,向靜夜唱出它的旋律。
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
去領悟因過多的溫柔而引起的痛苦。
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
因對愛的了解而受到創痛。
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
並為愛而心甘情願快樂地流血。
To wake at dawn with a winged heart
在黎明時懷著一顆長了翅膀的心醒來,
and give thanks for another day of loving;
感謝能有另外一天去愛;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
在午時憩息,並靜思愛的狂喜;
To return home at even-tide with gratitude;
在黃昏時刻,帶著感恩的心回家;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart
然後在入睡前,為你所愛的人祈禱,
and a song of praise upon your lips.
在唇間唱著讚美詩歌。
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment