網頁

Saturday, April 10, 2010

5)On Giving 給予

The Prophet(先知)
Kahlil Gibran(哈利勒‧紀伯倫)

5)On Giving 給予

Then said a rich man, Speak to us of Giving.
然後有個富有的人說道︰跟我們談一談給予吧。
And he answered:
他回答說︰
You give but little when you give of your possessions.
付出你們的一小部份財產時,並不算給予;
It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
只有當你們獻出自己,那才算是真正的給予。
For what are your possessions but things you keep and guard for fear you may need them tomorrow?
因為你們的所有物是否是為了擔憂明日所需而屯積下來的呢?
And tomorrow, what shall tomorrow bring to the over-prudent dog
至於明天,明天又將帶給一只過份謹慎的狗什麼呢?
burying bones in the trackless sand as he follows the pilgrims to the holy city?
它在追隨朝聖者走入聖城的途中,將骨頭埋在無痕的沙石裡了。
And what is fear of need but need itself?
什麼是恐懼於匱乏,豈不就是匱乏本身嗎?
Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, the thirst that is unquenchable?
當你們的井水注滿時,你仍害怕口渴,這渴豈不是永無止盡?
There are those who give little of the much which they have –
有些人擁有很多,卻給予得很少,
and they give it for recognition and their hidden desire makes their gifts unwholesome.
而他們的給予也不過只是為了沽名釣譽,而他們隱藏內心的欲念卻玷污了他們的付出
And there are those who have little and give it all.
又有些人只擁有很少,卻全部給予。
These are the believers in life and the bounty of life, and their coffer is never empty.
他們才是相信生命和生命的獻賞者,他們的錢庫永不空乏。
There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.
有些人以愉悅的心給予,那快樂即是他們的報償。
And there are those who give with pain, and that pain is their baptism.
有些人以痛苦的心給予,那痛苦即是他們應得的洗禮。
And there are those who give and know not pain in giving,
又有些人給予而不覺得給予的痛苦,
nor do they seek joy, nor give with mindfulness of virtue;
也不去尋求其中的快樂,更不懷著道德理念才給予。
They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.
他們的給予就如山谷之中的長青花,在荒野之中散放著芬芳。
Through the hands of such as these God speaks,
上帝借著這些人的手,表達他的意旨,
and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth.
從他們的眼睛後面,他對世界微笑。
It is well to give when asked,
當人們要求而給予,固然是好,
but it is better to give unasked, through understanding;
但在了解需求之後,不待對方提出即給予更好。
And to the open-handed the search for one who shall receive is joy greater than giving
對於那慷慨的人,去尋找誰來接受,比給予本身更快樂。
And is there aught you would withhold?
你還有什麼不捨的東西嗎?
All you have shall some day be given;
你所有的一切,總有一天都得給予;
Therefore give now, that the season of giving may be yours and not your inheritors'.
因此,現下就給予吧,如此讓給予的時機由你擁有,而不是受施的人。
You often say, "I would give, but only to the deserving."
你常說︰「我願給予,但只給予該給予的人。」
The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture.
但是你果園裡的樹卻不這樣說,你牧場上的羊群也不這麼說。
They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.
他們借著給予而生活,因為不捨得就會喪亡。
Surely he who is worthy to receive his days and his nights is worthy of all else from you.
毫無疑問地,一個值得接受白天和夜晚的人,便值得你給予他其它所有的一切。
And he who has deserved to drink from the ocean of life
有權從生命之洋領飲之人,
deserves to fill his cup from your little stream.
就有權從你的溪流來盛滿他的杯。
And what desert greater shall there be,
是故,敢於領受施予的人,
than that which lies in the courage and the confidence, nay the charity, of receiving?
他們既有勇氣和信心,且不只是寬宏,這豈不是更值得你給予嗎?
And who are you that men should rend their bosom and unveil their pride,
你又憑什麼?他們就該為你袒露胸膛,顯露出他們的矜持,
that you may see their worth naked and their pride unabashed?
以便讓你看清他們真實的價值和他們的尊嚴?
See first that you yourself deserve to be a giver, and an instrument of giving.
首先讓你自己配做施予者及做一個施予的工具吧。
For in truth it is life that gives unto life –
因為事實上,是生命給予了生命──
while you, who deem yourself a giver, are but a witness.
你自以為是個施予者,其實只不過是個見証者罷了。
And you receivers -- and you are all receivers -- assume no weight of gratitude,
至於,你們這些受施者──你們不論施與受都是接受的人──不必因感激而有負擔,
lest you lay a yoke upon yourself and upon him who gives.
以免使自己以及施予的人同樣互有羈絆。
Rather rise together with the giver on his gifts as on wings;
不如憑借施予者的付出,如憑借羽翼一般,與施者一同起飛吧。
For to be overmindful of your debt,
因為過份惦記領受的恩惠,
is to doubt his generosity who has the free-hearted earth for mother, and God for father.
就是懷疑施者的慷慨。而他有著以大地為母,以上帝為父的寬闊心胸。

No comments:

Post a Comment