The Prophet(先知)
Kahlil Gibran(哈利勒‧紀伯倫)
8)On Joy and Sorrow(快樂與哀傷)
Then a woman said, Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow.
然後,一個婦人說︰請講一講快樂與哀傷吧。
And he answered:
他回答說︰
Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
你的快樂是你揭去面具的哀傷。
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
在產生你的快樂的同一口井,往往也充滿你的眼淚。
And how else can it be?
除了這些還能如何呢?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
哀傷愈深入你的心中,你便能容納愈多的快樂。
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
你盛著酒的杯子不正是受到陶爐燒過的杯子嗎?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
那撫慰你心靈的琵琶,不就是被刀挖空了的木頭嗎?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart
當你快樂時,仔細觀察你的內心吧,
and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
你必會發現,只有那曾帶給你悲傷的事物會令你快樂。
When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart,
當你悲傷時,再次觀察你的內心吧,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
你必會見到,事實上,你正為曾帶給你快樂的事物哭泣。
Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
你們之中有人說︰「快樂大於哀傷。」而另外一些人說︰「不,哀傷比較大。」
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
但我對你們說︰它們是分不開的。
Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board,
它們一起而來,當其中之一與你坐在餐桌旁時,
remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.
記住,另一個正睡在你的床上。
Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
的確,你像天秤一般懸掛著一邊是悲,一邊是喜。
Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
只有你在空無一念之時,你才能平靜與平衡。
When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver,
當那看守財寶的人如天秤一般舉起你們來衡量他的金銀時,
needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.
你的悲喜便會起起落落了。
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment